“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”
— Margaret Meade
LWB was founded in 1981 in response to the community’s need for a steady supply of leaders who are both familiar with the general structure of the community, its problems and issues and assets, and who are also capable of organizing and directing the efforts of others. This nine-month core program is designed for adult professionals to develop leadership skills, become more acquainted and involved within our community, and to work together to strengthen Northeast Pennsylvania.
- Bring together current and emerging leaders representing a broad cross-section of the community: business, government, education, religion, the arts, minority groups, service and community organization
- Assist participants in recognizing and developing their leadership skills
- Acquaint participants with community needs, resources and other factors that influence the direction of Northeastern Pennsylvania
- Provide opportunities for a diverse group of individuals to interact with each other and with community leaders and decision-makers.
- Foster interest in volunteer community service by creating and implementing group projects that address needs in the community
- Stimulate a commitment and a responsibility to serve and strengthen our communities
Monthly sessions are held on the first Thursday of the month from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., unless otherwise noted. Below is a tentative schedule for the 2019-2020 program year. Note: Opening Retreat is a mandatory two-day program with an overnight stay.
Tentative Calendar for the 2019-2020 Core Program:
August, 2019: Program Overview
September 19 & 20: Team Building/Consensus (Opening Retreat)
September 28th, 2019: Weinberg Northeast Regional Food Bank (Volunteer Opportunity)
October 3rd, 2019: Vision and Mission Program
October 19th, 2019: Habitat for Humanity (Volunteer Opportunity)
November 7th, 2019: Volunteerism & Servant Leadership Program
December 5th, 2019: Collaboration/Arts & Recreation Program
January 9th, 2020: Making Your Voice Heard: Communication/Media Program
February 6th, 2020: Cultural Perspectives/Emotional Intelligence Program
March 5th, 2020: Board Trusteeship/Leadership Skills Program
April 2nd, 2020: Government/Justice: Influencing Public Life Program
May 7th, 2020: Closing Retreat
June 4th, 2020: Annual Dinner and Graduation
If you are interested in becoming a member of the LWB Core class, please contact the Leadership Wilkes-Barre office at (570) 270-LEAD (5323).